Habitat for Humanity International invites CoP members to an upcoming event to celebrate World Habitat Day on 5 October 2020 at 2 pm (UK time). They will host a discussion about the role that housing can play in global economic recovery. You can join the discussion at this link: www.habitat.ngo/economicrecovery. A recording will be posted for viewing after the live stream.
This discussion will coincide with the release of two new reports, including one that makes the case for investing in housing to promote economic and social recovery in emerging economies hit hard by the pandemic. Panelists will focus on new evidence that the housing sector can stimulate economies – even more so than official statistics indicate. During the discussion, panelists will also address how valuable healthy, adequate homes have been during the pandemic, including for families who have taken out microloans to improve their homes.
The discussion participants are:
- Ariel Cano Cuevas, managing director for Alsis Funds Mexico
- Debra Erb, managing director of Housing Real Estate Project Finance at the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation
- Marja Hoek-Smit, director of the International Housing Finance Program of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School Zell/Lurie Real Estate Center
- Patrick Kelley, vice president of Habitat for Humanity’s Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter
- Dhaval Monani, founder and managing director of First Home Realty Solutions Pvt. Ltd and a pioneer of the affordable housing space in India